The Community Church of Glen Rock began life with 20 members as the Reformed Church of Glen Rock in 1895. Meetings were first held in homes and then in the “Red Schoolhouse,” which still stands at the corner of Rock Road and Ackerman Avenue. The Reverend John A. Van Neste preached there as well as in his own church in Ridgewood. In 1896 a small church was built, known as the “little White Church.”
In 1920 our name was changed to The Community Church of Glen Rock, signaling that the church intended to be a church of and for the local community. By 1924 the church had outgrown its first building and erected its second building, the “Stucco Church,” on the same site. The original building was used for education and remained in use into the 1950s.
Following the end of World War II the population of Glen Rock more than doubled as land was cleared, homes were built, schools were built or added onto, and our church again faced the need for expansion. In 1950 the Church began excavation for a new Sanctuary to be attached to the rear of the Stucco Church. This would be the beginning of a series of expansions that would lead to the current size and arrangement of the campus. In 1958 the Education Building was constructed. In 1965 following several property acquisitions the large Fellowship Hall was built and the Stucco Church was demolished to make way for a new entrance to the sanctuary. Along with expanded parking the campus occupies a large piece of property in the center of the Borough.
In 1994 the most recent major work was the complete refurbishing and rearrangement of the worship space as well as the installation of the beautiful stained-glass windows, which are the pride of the congregation.
The congregation has been blessed with pastoral leadership that began with Rev. Van Neste. Recent pastors have included the Rev. Victor Simons, a naval chaplain during the second world war, the Rev. Dr. M. Verne Oggel, who also served the larger Church as the President of the General Synod, the Rev. Vernon L. Dethmers, now Minister Emeritus, who served with distinction both locally and nationally and the Rev. Mary Fitzgerald.
Our current leaders are Senior Pastor Rev. Dr. Allan Janssen and Assisting Minister Rev. Karla Hay Diserens.